It’s weird, with all this coverage still of the profoundly sad and pointless events of Newtown, CT on Friday, five serious questions keep coming to mind…
1. If the culprit was THAT crazed and bent on destruction and didn’t have a gun, what would he have still used instead?
2. If he had used a car to run down those same people during recess, for example, would we all be up in arms about tighter driver’s license measures? (The mentally ill or criminals would still drive anyway, with or without a license, so maybe tighter laws would be a waste of time anyway. Law-abiding folks abide the law. Law-breakers don’t care about laws to begin with.)
3. Do we REALLY need semi-auto assault rifles if folks can otherwise have hunting rifles and responsible handgun licenses? (seems like police should have access to those assault rifles, though, since criminals have them already despite what any law says.)
4. If somebody in that school had a responsibly licensed handgun, would that killer have been stopped earlier and lives saved? Or if the deranged man knew his mom’s teacher friend owned a licensed pistol, for example, would he have still even shown up at the school?
5. If the EXACT same events happened in a town in Afghanistan or even Cuba, would any of us really even still be thinking about it five days later? Would the UK royals be back as top stories by now?
These questions are really heavy on my heart and mind today as we hear more and more about the funerals, etc. What a horrific shame.
Anyone else had these questions come up?
Powered by Facebook Comments